HEADS-UP: new server-side validation git hook for submodule updates & call-for-help

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:16:15 UTC 2014

On 18/03/2014 18:17, Johan Tibell wrote:
> Lets give some example workflows for working with submodules. Here's
> what I think a raw (i.e. no sync-all) update to base will look like.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> # Step 1:
> cd ~/src/ghc/libraries/base
> # edit some_file
> git add some_file
> git commit -m "Commit to base repo"
> git push  # push update to base to git.haskell.org <http://git.haskell.org>

I believe this doesn't work, because the normal state for a submodule is
"detached HEAD", so you can't commit to it because it isn't on a branch.
  You have to first "get checkout master", or "git checkout -b mybranch
master".

> # Step 2
> cd ~/src/ghc
> git add libraries/base
> git commit -m "Have GHC use the new base version"
> git push  # push update to ghc to git.haskell.org <http://git.haskell.org>
>
> Failure modes include:
>
>   * Forgetting step 2: the ghc repo will point to a slightly older base
> next time someone checks it out. Fixing things when in this state: just
> perform step 2.
>   * Forgetting `git push` in step 1. the ghc repo will point to a base
> commit that doesn't exist (except on some developers machine).  Fixing
> things when in this state: the developer who forgot to `git push` in
> step 1 needs to do that.
>
> How could sync-all help us:
>
>   * sync-all push could push all repos, preventing failure case 2 above.
>
> The second interesting workflow involving pulling new changes. This is
> what the raw (i.e. no sync-all) workflow will look like:
>
> cd ~/src/ghc
> git pull
> git submodule update
>
> Failure modes include:
>
>   * Forgetting the `submodule update` and then doing e.g. `git commit
> -am "some compile commit"`, reverting the pointer to e.g. base to
> whatever older version the developer was using. No commits are lost
> (nothing changes in the base repo), but the ghc repo will point to an
> older commit.

The other failure mode is that the submodule contains local changes,
that just got overwritten by the "git submodule update".  Perhaps git is
better about telling you when this is about to happen and/or failing in
submodule update now?  What about when the submodule is on a branch?