[commit: ghc] master: Pretty-print the following TyThings via their IfaceDecl counterpart: * AnId * ACoAxiom * AConLike (065c35a)

Dr. ERDI Gergo gergo at erdi.hu
Sat Mar 15 16:50:19 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Unexpected failures:
>   indexed-types/should_compile  T3017 [stderr mismatch] (normal)
>   roles/should_compile          Roles1 [stderr mismatch] (normal)
>   roles/should_compile          Roles2 [stderr mismatch] (normal)
>   simplCore/should_compile      T4306 [bad exit code] (normal)
>   th                            T8884 [stderr mismatch] (normal)
>   typecheck/should_compile      tc231 [stderr mismatch] (normal)
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/archive.travis-ci.org/jobs/20819762/log.txt

> Are these related to your changes, and are pending fixing? (If not it
> might take too long until we notice, and it will be more difficult to
> find the cause.)

Hi,

Yes, these are related. However, they all point to just a change in the
output format of -ddump-types so that by default, foralls are not printed.
The old output format can be restored by passing in an extra
-fprint-explicit-foralls flag. I think this is actually an improvement,
and thus my suggestion is to simply update the expected output of these
tests.

The one interesting case is T4306 which fails because the generated name
$wupd is regarded as an infix name, and thus with my new code is rendered
as

   ($wupd) :: GHC.Prim.Double# -> GHC.Prim.Double#

instead of the old

   $wupd :: GHC.Prim.Double# -> GHC.Prim.Double#

I think this is actually a bug in isSymOcc, since I don't think the
intention behind the generated name $wupd is to be regarded as an infix
name. So we could change isLexVarSym so that if the first character is $,
the rest is still checked for symbol-ness.

If there's agreement on this, I'm happy to implement both changes.

Bye,
 	Gergo