haddock issue building ghc-7.8 from git

Matthias Fischmann mf at zerobuzz.net
Fri Mar 14 10:03:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 04:45:58AM -0500, Austin Seipp wrote:
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 04:45:58 -0500
> From: Austin Seipp <austin at well-typed.com>
> To: "ghc-devs at haskell.org" <ghc-devs at haskell.org>
> Subject: Re: haddock issue building ghc-7.8 from git
>
> Oh bother:
>
> > $ ./sync-all -b ghc-7.8
>
> Should be:
>
> ./sync-all -b ghc-7.8 get
>
> of course.

ok, that makes a lot of sense.  (i was wondering about demanding version 709... :-)

now i get this:

[...]
~/src/ghc-7.8$ ./sync-all -b ghc-7.8 get
Unrecognised flag: -b at ./sync-all line 850.
== Checking for old haddock repo
== Checking for old binary repo
== Checking for old mtl repo
== Checking for old Cabal repo
== Checking for old time from tarball
============================
ATTENTION!

You have an old time package in your GHC tree!

Please remove it (e.g. "rm -r libraries/time"), and then run
"./sync-all get" to get the new repository.
============================
== Checking for obsolete Git repo URL
~/src/ghc-7.8$ rm -rf libraries/time/
~/src/ghc-7.8$ ./sync-all -b ghc-7.8 get
Unrecognised flag: -b at ./sync-all line 850.
== Checking for old haddock repo
== Checking for old binary repo
== Checking for old mtl repo
== Checking for old Cabal repo
== Checking for old time from tarball
== Checking for obsolete Git repo URL
~/src/ghc-7.8$ perl boot
Error: libffi-tarballs/LICENSE doesn't exist.
[...]

i also tried to pull with -b ghc-7.8, but sync-all doesn't do anything
in either case.

./sync-all get pull master (which i don't want, appearently).

'./sync-all checkout ghc-7.8' cannot find branch 7.8 on several repos.

(how easy would it be to implement exact version pinning in sync-all?
could i do it in a day or two?  would there be any drawbacks from
doing this?)

cheers,
matthias