GHC 7.8 release

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 02:29:04 UTC 2014

On 12/03/14 15:04, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> Friends
> The status of the GHC 7.8 release is here https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8/RC2.
> Alas we are currently stalled on #8870, #8834: we are getting seg-faults on Windows.  (For example, on my laptop, the stage2 compiler seg-faults when compiling some (but not all) files.  Although few people develop GHC on Windows, many people *use* GHC on Windows, so we can't really release in this state.
> We need help!  Austin is trying, but it's all working on his Windows build.   He's trying to get more machines to see if he can reproduce the failure there.
> Does anyone feel able to help?  Even git-bisecting to find the offending commit would be a huge help.  In principle I can do that (at two hours per bisection) but I was defeated by an out-of-sync Haddock.  I need to know how to remove Haddock from the build altogether.  But others are far more skilled than me.

Assuming Haddock is not the thing causing the problems here, I think it
wouldn't be unreasonable to simply replace all contents of the Haddock
directory with some dummy Main file, ask GHC to not build with docs and
to not run any of the Haddock tests.

This will only work if GHC doesn't use any of the exposed Haddock API of
course.

I believe I heard someone in #ghc say that Haddock is not a proper
submodule of the repository (why isn't it?) so that's probably why it's
going out of sync. We even have a long outstanding bug on Haddock Trac
because we have no idea how to sanely bisect Haddock and GHC together to
find the change!

> On #8834 Simon M speculates that we may have the callee-saves register wrong on Win64.  Does anyone feel up to looking into that?
> Until we find what's going on, 7.8 is stalled.
> Thanks!
> Simon

Mateusz K.