"quick" vs "perf" builds

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Mar 10 16:15:00 UTC 2014

I sometimes wonder if we should have a './performance' script or
something in the root dir that does what ./validate does for the test
suite: it always builds everything highly optimized (except perhaps
GHC itself), and then immediately runs nofib (including parallel SMP
tests, all that jazz) and sticks all that in a report you can keep
around, and use with nofib-analyze later.

But anyway, I agree with Simon that adding a 'bench' build type to
mk/build.mk.sample is the way to go. For completeness, it's probably
also worth adding a 'bench-llvm' type for the people who want to
benchmark with the LLVM backend.*

* We should actually refactor build.mk to not require duplication of
every build type for these two ways, but I digress enough already.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Add another build type for your use case.  The "quick" build means "build
> everything as quickly as possible", which is useful for general development,
> but not benchmarking.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> On 08/03/2014 07:45, Johan Tibell wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In my mind the "quick" build should be like the "perf" build, except
>> building the stage2 compiler should be much faster. However, the perf
>> build uses
>>
>> GhcLibHcOpts = -O2
>>
>> while the quick build uses
>>
>> GhcLibHcOpts = -O -fasm
>>
>> This means that if you're working on optimizing the generated code and
>> are running benchmarks to verify your results, the quick build doesn't
>> do the right thing.
>>
>> Since the purpose of the quick build is to work on the stage2 compiler,
>> would it make sense having it build the libraries in the same way as the
>> perf build?
>>
>> -- Johan

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant