ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.8.1 Release Candidate 2

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Mar 3 18:23:25 UTC 2014

We are pleased to announce the second release candidate for GHC 7.8.1:

    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.8.1-rc2/
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.8.1-rc2/html/

This includes the source tarball and binary distributions for Windows,
Linux, OS X, FreeBSD, and Solaris, on x86 and x86_64, and more. There
are now two binary builds for Linux users: one for glibc 2.12 and GMP
4, primarily intended for RHEL users, and one built for glibc 2.13 and
GMP 5 - intended for Debian and more recent machines.

In addition, there is also an iOS cross compiler build (both in the
native ARM configuration and i386 simulator configurations), separate
Solaris 10 and Solaris 11 builds - the latter supporting dynamic
linking - and a new Linux/PPC64 build using glibc 2.18/GMP 5. There is
a signed copy of the SHA256 hashes available (attached) using my GPG
key (keyid 0x3B58D86F).

We're also now offering .tar.xz files, which roughly cut the size of
the binary distributions in half compared to bzip2.

We've closed approximately 45 tickets that people filed for RC1 in
this release. Thank you for all the reports!

We plan to make the final 7.8.1 release soon, and hope RC2 will be the
last RC. So *please* test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper
if we find them before the release!

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant