HEADS-UP: Git submodule conversion imminent

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Mon Jun 30 06:45:57 UTC 2014

Herbert, all,

I just pulled the new HEAD and have a question which I believe was not addressed so far. In my
work on the GHC tree I never pulled the dph subrepo because the only thing it adds for me is
extra build time (of course I pull it for my validation tree because I have no choice). Now it
seems that getting rid of dph is not that simple. If I `rm -df libraries/dph` then it gets
restored after `./sync-all pull`. Running `rm -df libraries/dph/*` seems to prevent that but I
imagine there will be problems if the dph submodule actually gets modified and I try to pull the
latest version. Moreover in both cases `git status` lists the submodule content as modified,
which I see as noise.  So is there a good way of removing dph from the source tree?

The only solution I see is to remove library/dph from the build tree (I use the lndir trick). This
means I have DPH in the source tree but not in the symlinked build tree, which is not perfect,
but acceptable.

Janek