Getting error about unused instances during "sh validate"

Alfredo Di Napoli alfredo.dinapoli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:29:52 UTC 2014

I think I have finally understood what's going on.

As Simon pointed out (that was the key insight) mapMaybeFP is referenced
inside the RULE, but I'm working on the Lexer to remove old Haddock 0.x
comments, and I suspect my patch broke the Lexer, so the GHC version on my
branch is interpreting that rule as a normal comment, causing the
aforementioned error.
Well, at least I know the problem is just mine and that my patch needs
improvement :)

Thanks SPJ!
Alfredo

On Thursday, 12 June 2014, Alfredo Di Napoli <alfredo.dinapoli at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Simon,
> It's strange because I was not getting that before (say 2 weeks ago) and
as far as I know I have not changed my build type (always been "quick").
> I'll try to see if playing around with -O will change things and report
back.
> Thanks!
>
> Alfredo
> On 12/giu/2014, at 16:36, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Does not happen for me.  Maybe you are compiling without –O (odd, but
possible)?  mapMaybeFB is mentioned only inside a RULE, so perhaps it’s
regarded as un-referenced without –O?

> Simon

Di Napoli
> Sent: 12 June 2014 12:31
> To: ghc-devs at haskell.org
> Subject: Getting error about unused instances during "sh validate"
>

> Hello guys,
>
> am I the only one to get the following when I run "sh validate"?
>

> libraries/base/Data/Maybe.hs:139:1: Warning:
>    Defined but not used: ‘mapMaybeFB’
>
> <no location info>:
> Failing due to -Werror.
> make[1]: *** [libraries/base/dist-install/doc/html/base/base.haddock]
Error 1