ghc 7.8.2: Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date

Peter Trommler ptrommler at me.com
Tue Jun 10 11:29:58 UTC 2014

Hi,

Preparing ghc for the upcoming Haskell Platform 2014.2 on openSUSE I came across the following issue on PowerPC 64 bit:

> [ 6023s] inplace/bin/dll-split compiler/stage2/build/.depend-v-dyn.haskell "DynFlags" "Annotations Avail Bag BasicTypes BinIface Binary Bitmap BlockId BooleanFormula BreakArray BufWrite BuildTyCl ByteCodeAsm ByteCodeInstr ByteCodeItbls CLabel Class CmdLineParser Cmm CmmCallConv CmmExpr CmmInfo CmmMachOp CmmNode CmmType CmmUtils CoAxiom ConLike CodeGen.Platform CodeGen.Platform.ARM CodeGen.Platform.NoRegs CodeGen.Platform.PPC CodeGen.Platform.PPC_Darwin CodeGen.Platform.SPARC CodeGen.Platform.X86 CodeGen.Platform.X86_64 Coercion Config Constants CoreArity CoreFVs CoreLint CoreSubst CoreSyn CoreTidy CoreUnfold CoreUtils CostCentre DataCon Demand Digraph DriverPhases DsMonad DynFlags Encoding ErrUtils Exception ExtsCompat46 FamInstEnv FastBool FastFunctions FastMutInt FastString FastTypes Finder Fingerprint FiniteMap ForeignCall Hooks Hoopl Hoopl.Dataflow HsBinds HsDecls HsDoc HsExpr HsImpExp HsLit HsPat HsSyn HsTypes HsUtils HscTypes IOEnv Id IdInfo IfaceEnv IfaceSyn IfaceType InstEnv InteractiveEvalTypes Kind ListSetOps Literal LoadIface Maybes MkCore MkGraph MkId Module MonadUtils Name NameEnv NameSet OccName OccurAnal OptCoercion OrdList Outputable PackageConfig Packages Pair Panic PatSyn PipelineMonad Platform PlatformConstants PprCmm PprCmmDecl PprCmmExpr PprCore PrelInfo PrelNames PrelRules Pretty PrimOp RdrName Reg RegClass Rules SMRep Serialized SrcLoc StaticFlags StgCmmArgRep StgCmmClosure StgCmmEnv StgCmmLayout StgCmmMonad StgCmmProf StgCmmTicky StgCmmUtils StgSyn Stream StringBuffer TcEvidence TcIface TcRnMonad TcRnTypes TcType TcTypeNats TrieMap TyCon Type TypeRep TysPrim TysWiredIn Unify UniqFM UniqSet UniqSupply Unique Util Var VarEnv VarSet"
> [ 6025s] Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date
> [ 6025s] Please fix compiler/ghc.mk, or building DLLs on Windows may break (#7780)
> [ 6025s] Redundant modules: Bitmap BlockId ByteCodeAsm ByteCodeInstr ByteCodeItbls CLabel Cmm CmmCallConv CmmExpr CmmInfo CmmMachOp CmmNode CmmUtils CodeGen.Platform CodeGen.Platform.ARM CodeGen.Platform.NoRegs CodeGen.Platform.PPC CodeGen.Platform.PPC_Darwin CodeGen.Platform.SPARC CodeGen.Platform.X86 CodeGen.Platform.X86_64 FastBool Hoopl Hoopl.Dataflow InteractiveEvalTypes MkGraph PprCmm PprCmmDecl PprCmmExpr Reg RegClass SMRep StgCmmArgRep StgCmmClosure StgCmmEnv StgCmmLayout StgCmmMonad StgCmmProf StgCmmTicky StgCmmUtils StgSyn Stream
> [ 6025s] make[1]: *** [compiler/stage2/dll-split.stamp] Error 1

My build.mk contains the following:
> GhcUnregisterised=YES
> GhcWithNativeCodeGen=NO
> GhcWithInterpreter=NO
> SplitObjs=NO
> SRC_HC_OPTS+= -optc-mminimal-toc -optc-fno-builtin
> SRC_CC_OPTS+= -mminimal-toc -fno-builtin

I need the last two lines to:
1. have the build get that far (something is overflowing the TOC on powerpc64)
2. to get rid of loads of gcc warnings about built-in mem* functions

What do I need to do to „fix compiler/ghc.mk“ (see line 3 of my build log excerpt)?

Thanks!

Peter