RFC: Phabricator for patches and code review

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 09:54:26 UTC 2014

tl;dir I strongly support this, but for code review only, and only if we
can integrate it well with Trac.

Phabricator is what we use internally at Facebook, and it's a really
good code review tool (better than github, IMO).  For one thing, you
only get one email for a complete review, rather than one email for each
comment(!).  The UI is clean and streamlined, and reviewing diffs is a
pleasure.

If done right, this could improve our workflow a lot.  If done wrong, it
could just make things more complex - we'd want to steer people away
from both github pull requests and attaching patches in Trac and towards
Phabricator instead.  They have to install a local tool (arc), which
could be a barrier to contribution.

We would need some integration between Phabricator and Trac.  I don't
know whether any of this exists, but for example we'd want to have a way
to link to Trac tickets from Differential, and to have diffs
automatically show up attached to Trac tickets when they are linked to
the ticket (by mentioning the ticket in the commit message, for example).

So I think this is a lot of work, but if someone were prepared to do it
then I think it could improve our lives.