32-bit OSX

Edsko de Vries edskodevries at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 17:03:51 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I have been trying to compile a 32-bit version ghc, versions 7.8 as well as
HEAD, in a myriad of ways, bootstrapping with the 32-bit binary of 7.4
(which is the latest 32-bit binary available from haskell.org), but no
matter which way I try, it always fails somewhere.

I was trying this mostly just because I wanted to inspect the output of the
code generator, but 32-bit OSX is listed as a tier 1 platform on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Platforms, so I expected this to be
simple. Compiling normally (build flavour quick) eventually fails with a
bus error, which somebody else seems to have got too -- although I have no
idea who or what there were trying to do; I just found

http://lpaste.net/99008

When I try to build with the quick-cross flavour, but using -fasm rather
than -fllvm, for some reason building fails when it tries to call
ghc-stage2; the quick-cross flavour sets Stage1Only = YES so this seems a
bug to me. When using -fllvm it fails even sooner.

I don't know if I'm doing this wrong, if I should file a bug, or whether we
should record 32-bit OSX as unsupported.

Edsko