A couple of GHC-API questions

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 31 14:03:39 UTC 2014

| 1. The docs say that annotations can only be applied to top-level
| binders/declarations. We’ve found it *very* helpful to annotate nested
| binders in some cases to reduce the inference burden (it’s also
| extremely helpful for debugging the code/spec). Is this restriction in
| place because of the aforementioned issue of not serializing the
| GlobalRdrEnv? If so, could the restriction be lifted with the caveat
| that annotations on nested binders will *not* be exported? I think that
| would be sufficient for us as long as we can get a hold of the Core
| before any sort of inlining happens.

I think the main awkwardness is that there's no very convenient way to attach the annotation to a nested binder. For built in things like strictness it's all kept in the IdInfo. You could imagine a kind of extensible IdInfo, with a field of [Dynamic], being the annotations.  To look up, find the Dynamic with the expected type (e.g. LiquidHaskellSpec).

Not very hard, I think, but still work.

| 2. The docs say that you can only annotate binders that are declared in
| the same module. We’ve similarly found it useful to be able to *assume*
| stronger types for certain imported functions, though this is of course
| unsound. Could we also lift the same-module restriction, again with the
| caveat that the annotations will *not* be exported?

I don’t think that would be hard to lift.

| I still think that a Template Haskell-based approach could be really
| nice without requiring any changes to GHC (beyond the profiling issue
| we’ve run into).

That sounds good, but I can't really say more because I don't understand what "a Template-Haskell-based approach" really is.  I'd be happy to have a Skype call about it, with Ranjit and Niki, if you wanted.