[commit: ghc] master: rts: add Emacs 'Local Variables' to every .c file (39b5c1c)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:37:34 UTC 2014

Hello Simon,

On 2014-07-31 at 10:53:20 +0200, Simon Marlow wrote:

[...]

>>      rts: add Emacs 'Local Variables' to every .c file
>>
>>      This will hopefully help ensure some basic consistency in the forward by
>>      overriding buffer variables. In particular, it sets the wrap length, the
>>      offset to 4, and turns off tabs.
>
> I'm not a huge fan of this.  Is there a way to do this without adding
> the spam to the end of every source file?  Also it only works for
> emacs, what if the vim folks want to add their own spam?

I recently stumbled over

  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=8d0a1a6bc05af7edd25b15ce9159025036b636ff

which lead me to read up on its effect which is explained in more detail in

  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Directory-Variables.html

| The usual way to define directory-local variables is to put a file
| named .dir-locals.el1 in a directory. Whenever Emacs visits any file
| in that directory or any of its subdirectories, it will apply the
| directory-local variables specified in .dir-locals.el, as though they
| had been defined as file-local variables for that file (see File
| Variables).

So maybe that's a better option?

Cheers,
  hvr