Overlapping and incoherent instances

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 31 07:20:31 UTC 2014

Friends, in sending my message below, I should also have sent a link to
            https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9242#comment:25
Comment 25 describes the semantics of OVERLAPPING/OVERLAPPABLE etc, which I signally failed to do in my message below, leading to confusion in the follow up messages.  My apologies for that.
Some key points:

*         There is a useful distinction between overlapping and overlappable, but if you don't want to be bothered with it you can just say OVERLAPS (which means both).

*         Overlap between two candidate instances is allowed if either has the relevant property.  This is a bit sloppy, but reduces the annotation burden.  Actually, with this per-instance stuff I think it'd be perfectly defensible to require both to be annotated, but that's a different discussion.
I hope that helps clarify.
I'm really pretty certain that the basic proposal here is good: it implements the current semantics in a more fine-grained manner.  My main motivation was to signal the proposed deprecation of the global per-module flag -XoverlappingInstances.  Happily people generally seem fine with this.   It is, after all, precisely what deprecations are for ("the old thing still works for now, but it won't do so for ever, and you should change as soon as is convenient").
Thanks
Simon