Broken Data.Data instances

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 17:27:09 UTC 2014

Philip, Alan,

If you need a hand, I'm happy to pitch in guidance.

I've had to mangle a bunch of hand-written Data instances and push out
patches to a dozen packages that used to be built this way before I
convinced the authors to switch to safer versions of Data. Using virtual
smart constructors like we do now in containers and Text where needed can
be used to preserve internal invariants, etc.

This works far better for users of the API than just randomly throwing them
a live hand grenade. As I recall, these little grenades in generic
programming over the GHC API have been a constant source of pain for
libraries like haddock.

Simon,

It seems to me that regarding circular data structures, nothing prevents
you from walking a circular data structure with Data.Data. You can generate
a new one productively that looks just like the old with the contents
swapped out, it is indistinguishable to an observer if the fixed point is
lost, and a clever observer can use observable sharing to get it back,
supposing that they are allowed to try.

Alternately, we could use the 'virtual constructor' trick there to break
the cycle and reintroduce it, but I'm less enthusiastic about that idea,
even if it is simpler in many ways.

-Edward