Early draft spec of Strict language pragma

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Thu Jul 24 09:10:19 UTC 2014

* Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> [2014-07-23 17:48:29+0200]
> Hi!
>
> I started a draft spec for the Strict language pragma we chatted about
> during our call a while ago. I made the big mistake of writing it much
> after the actual discussion, so I forgot most of the details.
>
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/StrictPragma
>
> Perhaps if you could ask questions that you don't think are answered
> in the wiki page I can start fleshing it out more?
>
> P.S. I've included our chat log at the bottom of the wiki page.

Will case with an irrefutable pattern force the scrutinee, too?
I.e. will

  case x of { pat -> y }

desugar to

  case x of { pat -> x `seq` y }

?

That'd be consistent with the rules for newtypes (which I find a bit strange),
so I want to clarify.

Will tuples be considered to have strict fields? Since they are defined
"externally" (by analogy with the Just example), they shouldn't, right?

Roman