a little phrustrated

Pedro Rodrigues pedro at onimail.net
Thu Jul 17 00:45:48 UTC 2014

Hi,

> 1) I had some untracked files in a submodule repo. I couldn't find a way
> to get `arc diff` to ignore these, as they appeared to git to be a
> change in a tracked file (that is, a change to a submodule, which is
> considered tracked). `git stash` offered no help, so I had to delete the
> untracked files. This didn't cause real pain (the files were there in
> error), but it seems a weakness of the system if I can't make progress
> otherwise.

Using the `-u` flag with `git stash` will also stash the untracked
files. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there's no built-in command
to do it recursively for every submodule.

> 2) I develop and build in the same tree. This means that I often have a
> few untracked files in the outer, ghc.git repo that someone hasn't yet
> added to .gitignore. Thus, I need to say `--allow-untracked` to get `arc
> diff` to work. I will likely always need `--allow-untracked`, so I
> looked for a way to get this to be configured automatically. I found
> https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabricator/article/arcanist/#configuration ,
> but the details there are sparse. Any advice?

I'm assuming that you don't want to add those files to .gitignore
yourself, so would adding them to ".git/info/exclude" solve your
problem? (In case you don't know, this file works like .gitignore except
that it's not version controled).

Cheers,
Pedro Rodrigues