64bit Solaris was: Re: 7.8.1 plan

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Wed Jul 16 20:33:45 UTC 2014

On 07/16/14 10:28 PM, Alain O'Dea wrote:
>>> Is there somewhere a x86_64-solaris2 binary-dist (for Solaris 10)
>>> to try out first?
>>
>> I haven't tried that yet as my primary target is Solaris 11.
>
> If you target Solaris 10 it should work on Solaris 11 as well.  That's
> what the JRE and JDK do.  That's only workable if there isn't some
> specific significant advantage in APIs/libraries unique to Solaris 11.

Yes, Solaris 10 -> Solaris 11 works. Thanks to nice work of Sun folks
even Solaris 11 -> Solaris 10 sometimes works too.

Anyway, now, my priority is to get Solaris 11/AMD64 builder
up'n'running. It looks like it's hit by inconsistency in #ifdef GHCI
symbols in TcSplice.lhs/lhs-boot files[1]. Anyway, this inconsistency
shows that something is broken on build process which I'll need to track
down.

Once this is done, I'll attempt to build Solaris 11 binary dist but with
GHC provided static libffi/libgmp libraries. Such build worked on
Solaris 10 well in the past and it may be the cheapest route to go that
time...

Karel
[1]: http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/builders/solaris-amd64-head/5/10.html