gcc vs. clang builds of 7.8.3 on OS X

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 07:13:24 UTC 2014

Found the culprit!!!!!!!

XCodeVersion=`xcodebuild -version | grep Xcode | sed "s/Xcode //"`

This line in configure doesn't work on a system that just the Xcode command
line tools installed! It also won't work on an OS X system that has some
other tool chain (say, via brew) installed. On such systems, itsets
XCodeVersion to "", which in tur

The follow on code sets XCodeVersion1 and XCodeVersion2 to "0", and then
this code runs, causing the problem:

SplitObjsBroken=NO
if test "$TargetOS_CPP" = "darwin"
then
    # Split objects is broken (#4013) with XCode < 3.2
    if test "$XCodeVersion1" -lt 3
    then
        SplitObjsBroken=YES
    else
        if test "$XCodeVersion1" -eq 3
        then
            if test "$XCodeVersion2" -lt 2
            then
                SplitObjsBroken=YES
            fi
        fi
    fi
fi

​Alas, it doesn't look like SplitObjsBroken has the logic to allow it to be
overriden on the ./configure invocation (anyone know for sure? my autoconf
is very rusty....)

Too late here for me to think of a fix....

- Mark