gcc vs. clang builds of 7.8.3 on OS X

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 06:36:41 UTC 2014

It won't work in our case because the gcc 4.9 build we have references it's
own c rts lib, which is 4.9 specific, and is notably different than what is
on a stock Mac

Imagine if we were to ship a libHSrts.a, compiled against the gcc 4.9 libc
(and it's includes). Now a user without gcc 4.9 on thier system, installs
that bindist. And when they compile code that references libc, it'll
compile against the system libc (and it's includes). If tha code is paired
with Haskell code (or *is* Haskell code via the FFI), and is then linked
with libHSrts.a from the bindist.... now we have an executable that has
parts compiled against two different libc-s. This won't work unless the two
libcs (and their includes) are ABI compatible.... which I don't know if it
is between gcc's 4.9 libc, and the libc Apple ships for it's systems.