RFC: unsafeShrinkMutableByteArray#

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 15:40:07 UTC 2014

Yes, this will cause problems in some modes, namely -debug and -prof
that need to be able to scan the heap linearly.  Usually we invoke the
OVERWRITING_CLOSURE() macro which overwrites the original closure with
zero words, but this won't work in your case because you want to keep
the original contents.  So you'll need a version of
OVERWRITING_CLOSURE() that takes the size that you want to retain, and
doesn't overwrite that part of the closure.  This is probably a good
idea anyway, because it might save some work in other places where we
use OVERWRITING_CLOSURE().

I am worried about sizeofMutableByteArray# though.  It wouldn't be safe
to call sizeofMutableByteArray# on the original array, just in case it
was evaluated after the shrink.  You could make things slightly safer by
having unsafeShrinkMutableByteArray# return the new array, so that you
have a safe way to call sizeofMutableByteArray# after the shrink.  This
still doesn't seem very satisfactory to me though.