GHC status report

Miëtek Bak mietek at bak.io
Mon Jul 7 15:56:33 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-01, at 23:46, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:

> With the old custom linker we weren't able to get our custom MPFR linked in
> properly on all platforms for use in ghci.
>
> On Macs we ran into some rather interesting problems. We could get it to
> work for actual executables, but ghci would segfault with stuff resolved to
> clearly wrong addresses. If I recall correctly it may have been some kind
> of MachO symbol type that wasn't being resolved properly by the custom GHC
> linker, perhaps? We chased after it off and on for a long time to no avail.

Did these segfaults look like the following GHCi 7.6.3 crash?

It looks like Jason ran into something similar last year:
https://gist.github.com/dagit/5986541

Unfortunately, while the new linker in GHCi 7.8.2 doesn’t suffer from this problem, there appears to be another issue:

Any clues?

Thanks,

--
Miëtek