7.8 branch is created, HEAD is now open, and a note on merges

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Jan 30 23:03:22 UTC 2014

(Grr, resending to list...)

Hello all,

The 7.8 branch is officially ready for RC1 (after some final Haddock
bugs got quickly squashed by Gergo and Mateusz.)

Pali, Luke - this is specifically for you two as you have offered to
make the FreeBSD and iOS builds (Luke - 7.8 should contain both the
fix for __thread and the perf-cross flavor, so it should work out of
the box for you.)

Attached is a fingerprint file for the GHC repository. You can restore it with:

$ ./utils/fingerprint/fingerprint.py restore -f ghc-7.8-rc1.fingerprint

See here for more details -
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources#Trackingthefullrepositorystate

Alternatively, simply checking out to the 'ghc-7.8' branch will result
in the same thing - no new commits will go in until after RC1:

$ git clone -b ghc-7.8 git://git.haskell.org/ghc ghc-7.8
$ cd ghc-7.8
$ ./sync-all get -b ghc-7.8 --extra --nofib

Afterwords, just build and make the binaries as you normally would:

$ ./boot; ./configure
$ make
$ make binary-dist

Please let me know when the builds are done and somewhere to obtain
them, and I'll upload them to haskell.org for the RC. I'll begin my
builds now too...