7.8 branch is created, HEAD is now open, and a note on merges

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Wed Jan 29 14:20:08 UTC 2014

Also sending to the list.

---------------------------
Kazu,

I fixed the __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ check on both HEAD and the 7.8 branch.

As for the bug you are talking of - yes, I made a release note about
this the other day. The problem is that due to a bad interaction with
Clang, somehow the module downsweep gets broken in an odd way
(presumably due to something being preprocessed incorrectly.) This
does not affect every library actually - but xhtml is one of them (for
example, 'text' works fine on Mavericks using Clang.) I also haven't
yet pinned down why for example GHC is fine, but Haddock is not
(considering they should mostly do the same thing.)

Unfortunately I do not have any more time to fix this, because keeping
the RC delayed continuously has a cost (and it's been delayed a lot.)
I will reapproach this problem shortly after the first RC is done as
it will undoubtly cause some issues. But I just don't have time at
this exact moment to fix it (which may end up in integrating cpphs
into GHC. I'm not sure yet.)

For the record, this error occurs fairly late in the ./validate script
- it's for testing the in-place binary distribution after a build, but
before the testsuite is run. In the mean time, you can just do 'cd
testsuite && make fast' to run all your tests after you have seen this
error. I simply do not have a sensible, easy fix right now.

I sincerely apologize since this is annoying. But I really am out of
time right now and I think we'll have to eat this one for the RC.

(I should also note that, in the Real World, this will only make a
difference in documentation building, not package installation. The
xhtml library actually installs just fine - it is the doc generation
which fails.)

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:04 AM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> Austin,
>
>> Blargh, I'll fix this shortly. Thanks Pali.
>
> Please do. I also hit upon this bug. I could build GHC head yesterday
> but not today.
>
> P.S.
>
> Even if this is fixed, "validate" does not work on my Mac recently due
> to a haddock problem of the xhtml library. Does anyone see this
> problem?
>
> --Kazu

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant