7.8 branch is created, HEAD is now open, and a note on merges

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Wed Jan 29 13:13:41 UTC 2014

Thanks!

I'll follow up with you shortly. My plan was actually to create a
fingerprint of the repository, so you can just checkout a tree, use
the fingerprint, and build the RC from that. The setup would just be a
default perf build (i.e. no custom build.mk at all, just a regular
boot+configure+make+binary-dist.)

Right now I'm going over a few final touch-ups with Herbert before I
start building everything (we might cherry-pick one or two minor
things to base here momentarily.) After that I'll fingerprint and send
it out.

Also, for RCs, I believe we traditionally keep RELEASE=NO, so the
version number doesn't come off as "7.8" but as "7.8.<date>" instead -
indicative of it being "not the final version". So you shouldn't need
to tweak anything - just use the fingerprint and build.

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant