Nightlies

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Sun Jan 26 03:29:11 UTC 2014

As of right now, Pali's FreeBSD builds seem to be the only nightly
that is still consistently running (and thanks to him for that!)

The build infrastructure in its current status is mainly just
'unmaintained'. Furthermore there's not really a good roster of
machines that were/were not part of the system AFAIK aside from the
old list, and it's unclear what the status of many of those machines
are (as you said, many haven't checked in in a while.)

There is much interest in a better nightly infrastructure and people
have asked me several times about setting one up on IRC. We have
historically had some problems with the nightly infrastructure, mainly
things like network disconnectivity or firewalling policies, since
most people aren't running dedicated internet facing machines (or even
a dedicated machine at all. Firewalls have been a problem for places
like MSR from what I understand.)

Several individual people run Jenkins individually, and I like it, but
I'm not sure how well it does when spread across the globe in terms of
networking (and realistically builders will look like that, as we
can't possibly have a dedicated farm somewhere.) I was also at one
point worried about the size of such a tool on systems like ARM
machines where resources are at a premium, but in hindsight this looks
OK. I'd like any opinions on this if people have deployed things in
these highly distributed scenarios.

I have had some ideas for an extremely-minimal nightly build
infrastructure that would ideally require minimal setup and let
clients have power over choosing how and when to build, but I have yet
to find the time to finish the basic implementation to try it.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
<fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd just like to query the status of the nightly builds. Is anything
> happening in that area? [1] is right on the front page of the GHC Trac
> even though no builds were ran for ~5 months. Perhaps it should be
> moved out of the way if there's no plan to resume these in the near
> future.
>
> Does anything specific need doing to get these to run again?
>
> [1]: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Builder
> --
> Mateusz K.

Regards,