Validating with Haddock

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 08:17:03 UTC 2014

On 08/01/14 07:46, Austin Seipp wrote:
> Excellent, thank you. We should really fix the 32bit performance
> numbers too I think, based on what we discussed on IRC earlier. Would
> you like to submit a patch for that too please? You can find the
> numbers in testsuite/tests/perf/haddock/all.T.

I have no idea how to determine the new numbers. I could probably do it
with some guidance. Is there a wiki link or something of the sort? Is
there a special set up I need? I suppose you want it in a Trac ticket.

> Also, is there any new documentation we should need for this? Is all
> the new stuff properly documented somewhere? Etc.

There are some slight semantics changes between the old and new parser.
A good example is the ability to now escape things properly. In the
past, ‘/foo\/bar/’ would actually only treat ‘foo’ as italics. As this
should have been the original behaviour to begin with, the documentation
is now actually correct. We were very careful to not make changes which
would compromise old documentation. In fact, the first few commits
include a parser which pretty much replicates the behaviour of the old
one, with all the bugs and such!

For the features (not in the new-parser branch, I will prepare the
appropriate branch after I can validate it and give it a final look; the
perf tests should probably be update after this is merged rather than
before), I have updated Haddock's own documentation. It will be included
in the branch. Anything that's no longer correct/relevant has been
changed. Both Simon H and myself have access to the the Haddock
documentation hosted on haskell.org so we can update that after the merges.

I also hope to create a (web) tool which would allow one to write/paste
in some Haskell to allow the user to compare between the Haddock
versions as well as probably writing up a quick ‘migration’ guide but
it's nothing that needs to be in the repository itself.

After the features are merged in, it's all done from our side and anyone
is free to hack on top of the changes, which is great. Perhaps I can get
back to filling feature requests and bug fixes.

Regarding PatternSynonyms, Erdi seems to be happy to make sure his
changes to Haddock merge on top of what we send so we don't have to
worry about that.

So for now, hold tight until I can prepare the feature branch. I imagine
you should be hearing about me with a link in about 12-16 hours.

Thanks

--
Mateusz K.