Idea for improving communication between devs and potential devs

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Tue Jan 7 16:21:13 UTC 2014

Howard,

Something like LWN would be neat. And improving the wiki (especially
with documentation about GHC itself) would be great.

IMO I also think the blog would work well for this (it's reasonably
integrated into the wiki,) but I agree we should perhaps have some
other people contribute and write for it if that was the case, for
diversity. Of course, people also like to write on their own blogs
about new developments...

As a suggestion, one really easy thing to do is this: subscribe to
ghc-commits at haskell.org, and just read all the commits that come in.
No, you will not understand all of them immediately, and don't waste
an hour per commit, but just read over them. If you follow the
development closely, it will help immensely in your quest to
understand 'the big picture' (this is essentially how I started - by
lurking the commits list.) It'll also give you lots of great starting
points for things to talk about.

As always, the wiki is open and free to be edited - so please feel
free to write some stuff down and send it with a summary email to the
list (and be sure to include glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org, so
users can see it too.)

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Howard
>
> Thanks... improving the wiki would be a great contribution. If you point me to new material that you write, I'd be happy to review it.
>
> Simon

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant