Validating with Haddock

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 10:29:16 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 10:20, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> | David stepped down and Simon Marlow has a long time ago too! It is now
> | Simon Hengel who maintains it.
>
> OK, well perhaps you can immediately push a change to haddock.cabal to reflect this?  That's how we know.

I will try later but I think I don't have permissions. I can at best
push to Simon's branch where he would periodically push to the GHC
hosted repository (or perhaps it would get pulled from, I do not know).

> | Is it by now too late for 7.8? I'm afraid Simon H is away without much
> | access to technology until the 20th.
>
> Realistically that would push 7.8 RC to the end of Jan.  Why would that be better than pushing to head just after the 7.8 release?  Will 7.8 users see a big improvement if it was in?  What do others think?

The changes were mostly there for user benefit. The markup can now be
escaped much better. If we can validate what's on Simon's new-parser
branch reasonably quickly, we might even be able to push in the new
features: new mark up, nested paragraphs, better lists, headers… I'm
trying to push for 7.8 because Haddock ships with GHC and 7.8 is the
stable release that everyone will be using in couple of months time. If
the changes don't get into 7.8, we'll have to wait for the next stable
release for the users to benefit. Is this incorrect? I was always under
the impression that the only Haddock releases we can reasonably make are
with stable GHC releases. Of course, anyone can compile HEAD and
generate the docs for their own viewing but for example, Hackage will
run stable compiler and all the docs will still be using old Haddock.

I'd love to hear that I'm wrong about this and that Haddock releases
separate from GHC are possible but I don't think that's the case.

Mateusz K.