Pattern synonyms for 7.8?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 6 12:42:24 UTC 2014

| When I started working on pattern synonyms (#5144) back in August, it
| seemed the GHC 7.8 freeze was imminent, so I was planning for a first
| version in 7.10/8.0 (whatever it will be called). However, since not
| much has happened re: 7.8 since then (at least not much publicly
| visible), and on the other hand, my implementation of pattern synonyms
| is ready, I am now starting to wonder if it could be squeezed into 7.8.
| What are your thoughts on this?

I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this.  Because the implementation is now pretty solid, it's mostly a non-technical question.  Is it better to include a feature in the release whose design might change a bit in the light of experience, or to put it only in HEAD for a while?

We could put it in the release with warnings saying "the exact details, esp of syntax, might change, but do try it".  I'd be ok with that, and we've done it before.

What do other people think?

Simon