Starting GHC development.

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 6 10:38:50 UTC 2014

Friends

Happy new year!

About GHC 7.8, I apologise for the lack of communication. I was on holiday from 10 Dec, and replied when I got back after Christmas. I had a good conversation with Austin last Friday, and I expect an email from him to ghc-devs sometime today, to say what tasks remain, and when he expects to be able to cut a release candidate.

More generally, I very much sympathise with Mateusz's original observation that it's discouraging to email ghc-devs about something, and get no reply.

It's a classic problem with a large open-source project, run entirely by volunteers.  There is literally no one whose day job is to maintain GHC, except Austin, and even he is not superman. So if you email and get no reply it may just be that no one knows the answer, at least not without digging.

What's the solution? Certainly ping after a few days, as Gabor says. (Sometimes people wait to see if someone knows The Answer, and a ping will then elicit some "well maybe you could try this" half-answers.) Failing that, just roll up your sleeves and start digging!  Maybe you will become the expert in that area and will soon be answering questions yourself.

If anyone has better ideas, do contribute them.

Simon