Tuple predicates in Template Haskell

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 6 04:30:19 UTC 2014

Hello Yorick,

Thanks for taking this one on!

First off, this kind of question/post is appropriate for putting right into the ticket itself. Posting a comment to the ticket makes it more likely that you'll get a response and saves your thoughts for posterity.

Now, on to your question:

That seems somewhat reasonable, but I think your work could go a little further. It looks like you've introduced TupleP as a new constructor for Pred. This, I believe, would work. But, I think it would be better to have a way of using *any* type as a predicate in TH, as allowed by ConstraintKinds. Perhaps one way to achieve this is to make Pred a synonym of Type, or there could be a TypeP constructor for Pred.

In any case, I would recommend writing a wiki page up with a proposed new TH syntax for predicates and then posting a link to the proposal on the #7021 ticket. Then, it will be easier to debate the merits of any particular approach.

Once again, thanks!
Richard