RC2 status

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Feb 13 15:53:22 UTC 2014

Hello all!

I'm sure some of you are wondering about RC2. Please take a look at
this page, which gives the basic overview:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8/RC1

This currently lists all the active tickets filed against RC1. It
lists several categories, but the only one really relevant is 'new'
for those reading.

Most of the bugs in 'new' will be fixed shortly. I will then merge
them (and a lot of others) to 7.8 shortly. This includes #8735, #8736,
#8760, and #8770 (and also #8719 and #8748 in 'patch' status.) After
talking with Simon, I will also cook up a fix for #8754. So it's
closer than it looks!

There are two outliers:

  * #8745 & #8773 - After Richard and Joachim hashed out the details
(fairly quickly,) it seems this will go into 7.8 as well. Richard - I
suspect you will likely commit #8773 soon? Afterwords, I can still
take care of #8745 to enable GND for SafeHaskell, and these can both
be merged. Quite easy.

  * #8696 - this one is the main blocker for RC2. And after I'm done
brushing the other stuff up, it will be my main focus as I haven't had
time to think about it closely. Reid Barton has already been
fantastically helpful with his test case and thoughtful analysis, and
perhaps someone else would look. I'd really appreciate extra eyes to
help diagnose a possible fix or even a patch - the human parallelism
could certainly help.

So that's it: most of these are very basic, and I expect to be done
with many quite soon. The last bit here is the sticky one, so I
encourage people to look if they have a chance, please!

Finally, a quick note:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8/RC1 has content
which is generated dynamically. You can automatically make another
ticket appear there by:

 * Setting the version to '7.8.1-rc1'.
 * Setting the milestone to '7.8.1'.

This will make sure it's clearly on my radar. The bugs have slowed
down however, which is a good thing: so I imagine this is quite
representative of the final ones.

Let me know if there are any questions or more importantly if I've
missed anything.

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant