Bad news: apparent bug in casMutVar going back to 7.2

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 05:58:13 UTC 2014

Then again... I'm having trouble seeing how the spec on page 3-149 of the
Intel manual would allow the behavior I'm seeing:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf

Nevertheless, this is exactly the behavior we're seeing with the current
Haskell primops.  Two threads simultaneously performing the same CAS(p,a,b)
can both think that they succeeded.