Serialising evidence generated by typechecker plugins

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Fri Dec 12 08:30:27 UTC 2014

I did vaguely wonder about doing something like this, but was worried
about the complexity. Since you all seem keen, though, I'll have a go
and see if I can make it work. I'd imagine using the (plugin module
name, axiom name) pair to identify the axiom, and adding a new field to
plugins that implements coaxrProves.

Re Richard's point:

> Suppose plugin P is responsible for producing CoAxiomRule R while
> compiling module M.  I think it's reasonable to require any module N
> that imports M to have access to plugin P. (And, perhaps, to specify
> the use of P in GHC options while compiling N.)

I agree with N requiring access to P, as a transitive dependency, but
I'd rather not have to specify P up front when compiling N. One
library's use of a plugin shouldn't force it on all its users!

Thanks,

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant