Serialising evidence generated by typechecker plugins

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 11 14:34:52 UTC 2014

I've been following the plugins stuff at a small distance. I'vm very interested as a user, but don't have the bandwidth to think deeply as an implementor. With that caveat, I have a proposal:

Suppose plugin P is responsible for producing CoAxiomRule R while compiling module M. I think it's reasonable to require any module N that imports M to have access to plugin P. (And, perhaps, to specify the use of P in GHC options while compiling N.) With this requirement, rule R could be serialized with its name, as is done now, but with an enhanced name that includes all the info about P, including versioning/checksum. Then, we can keep a nice higher-order representation of CoAxiomRules, and still get serialization.

Or is there a basic assumption about plugins that I'm missing here?

Richard