Status and future of the LLVM backend

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 16:07:29 UTC 2014

Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Am Montag, den 08.12.2014, 08:20 -0500 schrieb Ben Gamari:
>> > Again Google finds me a bug, but this time one that has no fix
>> > associated with it:
>> > https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8951
>> >
>> > Ben, can you help me out here?
>> >
>> I've been unable to reproduce this issue in my environment. The build
>> succeeded using your packaging on my Odroid XU running Debian Jessie.
>
> Weird. Can you try creating a sid chroot and building it in there?
>
> I managed to finish the build with this patch attached:

Great!

> So what does that tell us? Maybe Peter can help us: Is it normal for a
> Debian system to pretend that its a pre-v6 ARM, even if the actual
> hardware is not?

Could you confirm that arm_HOST_ARCH_PRE_ARMv6 is actually defined in
mk/config.h? If so we should try to figure out why. The architecture is
determined by autoconf. Perhaps you could attach config.log?

>> It seems that this is likely due to dh_autoreconf which overwrites all
>> config.subs with /usr/share/misc/config.sub. It's totally unclear to me
>> how the first build succeeded, however.
>>
>> Have you seen this in the past?
>
> Yes, likely a bug in dh_autoreconf that does not handle rebuilds well
> (or a bug in how we use it).

Hmm, alright. Why exactly do we overwrite config.sub and config.guess?
I guess we are trying to ensure that the build systems in libraries/*
are generated by the system's autoconf (taking the place of `boot`)?
Is there a reason we can't just use autoreconf as `boot` does?

Cheers,

- Ben