Status and future of the LLVM backend

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 8 15:44:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Montag, den 08.12.2014, 16:34 +0100 schrieb Karel Gardas:
> On 12/ 8/14 03:49 PM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > So what does that tell us? Maybe Peter can help us: Is it normal for a
> > Debian system to pretend that its a pre-v6 ARM, even if the actual
> > hardware is not?
>
> Sorry to get into this, but are you using EABI[1] port of HardFloat[2]
> port? Wheezy claims to support[2], the release before this was[1].

I’m currently working on what Debian calls armel, so [1]. We’ll also
have to get it working on armhf (which seems to be [2]). Maybe things
are different there

> I'm not sure what you use so I'm asking, anyway, if you use[1], then
> it's normal it pretends it's pre-ARMv6. I.e. this is similar to i386
> debian port in the past which was running happily on i686 but pretend to
> be i386 to be compatible with all the supported hardware...

Yes, that makes sense.

In that case, the use of the slow spinlock implementation is correct,
and GHC’s build system needs to be fixed to work in that situation,
right?

Greetings,
Joachim

--