Linker change in GHC 7.8 leads to widespread issues

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Wed Dec 3 17:51:44 UTC 2014

I'm also quite surprised about this; Cabal was supposed to handle
-fPIC based on whether GHC was dynamically linked a long time ago, I
figured.

The fact it's broken this long is really unfortunate. I'll attempt to
take a look at this when I have time; we should very much fix this for
7.10 (and perhaps backport the fix to older Cabal versions too,
maybe).

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/12/2014 21:43, Miëtek Bak wrote:
>>
>> On 2014-12-02, at 21:31, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> whats an example of such a package?
>>

>> text-icu.
>> https://github.com/bos/text-icu/pull/9
>>
>> FWIW, I’m in favour of fixing this at the Cabal level.
>> https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/2207
>

> I'm actually rather surprised we got away without doing this up to now.  Why
> haven't there been more complaints?
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Regards,