new Coercible solver

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 3 13:20:29 UTC 2014

|  If you have a few minutes, I would love a review of my new Coercible
|  solver (D546). It seems to be humming along, and it tackles #9117
|  nicely. Even better, for me, it will work much more smoothly with my
|  dependent types branch. I'm eager to get back to that branch, which is
|  why I'd like to merge this into master soon.

A few minutes??!!   Hardly.  Two hours later...    Anyway I've made a start.

I assume this is going to land immediately after the 7.10 fork? But it's not entirely obvious:

- it is not essential functionality for 7.10
- but it shouldn't mess anything up (or if it does we want to fix it anyway)
- and it's a big diff, so *not* putting it in 7.10 will make merging
   patches to the 7.10 branch harder

My instinct is to merge soon (assuming it validates), and let Austin decide whether it makes his life easier to have it or not to have it.

Simon