Back-porting pattern synonym type signature syntax for GHC 7.8.4 [Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.8.4 Release Candidate 1]

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 2 08:05:01 UTC 2014

It is clear to everyone that all it would change is the *output* of GHCi's :info and Haddock-generated docs, right? There's no change whatsoever to what programs are accepted by GHC, or what they mean.
Yes that’s right.   (Your patch was helpful in clarifying that.)

To me it doesn’t seem a big deal either way.   Personally I’m on the fence on this one, but it’s true that we never do anything in a patch release except fix bugs, and Simon M was reluctant to break that policy without pretty strong reason.  If there was an uprising of user sentiment that we ought to break that policy on this occasion, it’d be easily to do.

Simon