Wired-in data-constructors with UNPACKed fields

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 18 22:01:17 UTC 2014

I see three alternatives.

1. Flatten out the BigNat thing.  You give good reasons why this would be bad.

2.  Take care to build a DCR that really does match the one you get when you compile the source module that declares the data type.  In principle, the representation does indeed depend on dynflags, so you need to know the flags with which the source module will be compiled. And that's reasonable: if we generate code for an unpacked constructor, GHC's wired-in knowledge must reflect that, and vice versa.  But you can probably write the code in such a way as to be mostly independent (eg explicit UNPACK rather than rely on -funbox-strict-fields), or assume that some things won't happen (e.g. souce module will not be compiled with -fomit-interface-pragmas).  See MkId.mkDataConRep.

3. Stop having Integer as a wired-in type.  For the most part it doesn't need to be; you won't see any mentions of 'integerTy' or 'integerTyCon' scattered about the compiler.  I believe that that the sole use is in CorePrep.cvtLitInteger, which wants to use the data constructor for small integers.

What is odd here is that for non-small integers we are careful to look up mkInteger in the environment (precisely so that it is not wired in).  Then we stash it in the CorePrepEnv, and pass it to cvtLitInteger.  What I don't understand is why we don't do exactly the same thing for S#, the data constructor for small integers.   (Add a new field to CorePrepEnv for the S# data constructor.)

If we did that, then the Integer type and the data constructor, would become "known-key" things, rather than "wired-in" things; and the former are MUCH easier to handle.

My recommendation would be to try (3) first.  Ian Lynagh (cc'd) may be able to comment about why the inconsistency above arose in the first place, and why we can't simply fix it.

Simon

| > |