How's the integration of DWARF support coming along?

Peter Wortmann scpmw at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 20:29:24 UTC 2014

Johan Tibell wrote:
Do you mind expanding on what tick scopes are. It sounds scarily like something that happens at runtime. :)

It’s a pretty basic problem - for Core we can always walk the tree upwards to find some source ticks that might be useful. Cmm on the other hand is flat: Given one block without any annotations on its own, there is no robust way we could "look around" for debugging information.

This is especially tricky because Cmm stages want to be able to liberally add or remove blocks. So let’s say we have an extra GC block added: Which source location should we see as associated with it? And if two blocks are combined using common block elimination: What is now the best source location? And how do we express all this in a way that won’t make code generation more complicated? The latter is an important consideration, because code generation is very irregular in how it treats code - often alternating between accumulating it in a monad and passing it around by hand.

I have found it quite tricky to find a good solution in this design space - the current idea is that we associate every piece of generated Cmm with a “tick scope”, which decides how far a tick will “apply”. So for example a GC block would be generated using the same tick scope as the function’s entry block, and therefore will get all ticks associated with the function’s top level, which is probably the best choice. On the other hand, for merging blocks we can “combine” the scopes in a way that guarantees that we find (at least) the same ticks as before, therefore losing no information.

And yes, this design could be simplified somewhat for pure DWARF generation. After all, for that particular purpose every tick scope will just boil down to a single source location anyway. So we could simply replace scopes with the source link right away. But I think it would come down to about the same code complexity, plus having a robust structure around makes it easier to carry along extra information such as unwind information, extra source ticks or the generating Core.

Greetings,
  Peter