linker_unload validate related issue (how to duplicate that?).

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Wed Aug 6 09:16:20 UTC 2014

Folks,

I've noted that validate is failing on Linux recently due to issue in
linker_unload. As I've submitted some patch to this test case recently
which fixes this on Solaris I'm kind of curious if I broke it or not.
Anyway, strange thing is: when I configure ghc and run the test by
(g)make TEST=linker_unload on both Linux and Solaris I get no failure.
When I validate on Linux (validate is not working on Solaris yet), then
I get failure in linker_unload:

Wrong exit code (expected 0 , actual 2 )
Stdout:

Stderr:
/bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
make[3]: *** [linker_unload] Error 2

*** unexpected failure for linker_unload(normal)

when I try to run:

cd testsuite
make TEST=linker_unload

inside this validation tree I again get no failure in this test:

[...]
=====> linker_unload(normal) 2522 of 4082 [0, 0, 0]
cd ./rts && $MAKE -s --no-print-directory linker_unload    </dev/null
 >linker_unload.run.stdout 2>linker_unload.run.stderr

OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Wed Aug  6 10:55:17 2014 CEST
  0:00:08 spent to go through
     4082 total tests, which gave rise to
    13459 test cases, of which
    13458 were skipped

        0 had missing libraries
        1 expected passes
        0 expected failures

        0 caused framework failures
        0 unexpected passes
        0 unexpected failures

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/karel/src/validate-test/testsuite/tests'

I've also noted that this test case fails on Solaris builders with
strange error:

=====> linker_unload(normal) 170 of 4082 [0, 0, 1]
cd ./rts && $MAKE -s --no-print-directory linker_unload </dev/null
 >linker_unload.run.stdout 2>linker_unload.run.stderr
Wrong exit code (expected 0 , actual 2 )
Stdout:
Stderr:
linker_unload: internal error: loadObj: can't read
`/buildbot/gabor-ghc-head-builder/builder/tempbuild/build/bindisttest/install/libHSinteg_BcPVjqcazPNGsNFG4agFty.a'
(GHC version 7.9.20140806 for i386_unknown_solaris2)
Please report this as a GHC bug: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
gmake[3]: *** [linker_unload] Abort (core dumped)

So the question is: why validate fails and why builder fails on this
particular test and why my common testing on both Solaris and Linux is
not able to duplicate the issue? What's so different between validate
and builders and between my common: perl boot; ./configure <some
params>; gmake -j12; cd testsuite; gmake THREADS=12 fast
?

Thanks!
Karel