Release building for Windows

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 13:50:56 UTC 2014

> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GHC-7.8-FAQ

Hmmm, this isn't very specific, it just says that there are probably
bugs, but that's true for almost all code. :-) Are there any concrete
issues with --enable-split-objs?

> One of the problems is that split-objs is extremely slow, especially
> on Windows. I had to disable split-objs for OpenGL-related libraries
> when building the HP installer in the past because of this.

I think it's perfectly fine if the the compilation of the library
itself takes ages if it pays off later: You compile the library once,
but link against it multiple times. Or do the link times against e.g.
OpenGL stuff suffer? My point is: Do we make the right trade-off here?
A quick search brought up e.g.
https://github.com/gentoo-haskell/gentoo-haskell/issues/169 which
seems to be a request to split everything.

> Randy also said that libraries built with split-objs don't work well
> in ghci on Windows x64.

Is there an issue for this?