GHC status report

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:45:35 UTC 2014

On 30/04/2014 01:35, George Colpitts wrote:
> It doesn't have anything about the dynamic linking changes made for 7.8.
> I think it's worth mentioning the improvements we expect to get from
> that. The highlights of the release notes do mention it, so maybe that
> suffices.
>
> In particular, I'm hoping that it is going to fix a lot of problems with
> using foreign libraries such as OpenGL from ghci. I could be wrong about
> that though.

I'd like to understand more about what those problems are.  As a data
point, at Facebook we're using static linking (I compiled GHC with
DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=NO), we're loading upwards of 50 3rd-party C++
libraries and one gigantic shared library consisting of a ton of
in-house C++ code, together with all our Haskell code into GHCi, and it
works perfectly.  The key to using the static linker is to not use it
for C++ code - you want all your external C++ code in shared libraries
and load those using the system linker.

Dynamic linking has been a huge headache in GHC, and it's not clear that
it's an overall improvement compared with the static linker.  Now that
7.8 is out of the way, it's time to have a conversation about whether we
want to do dynamic linking again for 7.10, or revert to static linking.
  I think Austin is going to update
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DynamicGhcPrograms, and then we'll
see where we stand.