Relocating (some of) GHC's core-libraries to github.com/haskell

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 28 08:40:15 UTC 2014

In general I'd like to make the infrastructure reflect the story of who is managing these packages. Moreover, those who are maintaining a package, in this case the core-libraries committee, should have the final word on where their infrastructure lives.

Putting issue-tracking in a clearly-defined place (not mixed up with the GHC Trac) is a good idea.  (But please can it be clear, somehow, where each issue tracker is?)

But I agree with Simon that complicating the workflow ought to have a benefit.  What is the benefit in this case?  We could instead
 * Leave the repos where they are
 * Move the repos but have GHC builds pull directly from
   the mother repo

Both seem simpler than adding a new lagging repo.

Having a lagging repo doesn't add anything, does it?  Indeed, does it *ever* help to have a lagging repo?  The SHA hash for a submodule uniquely determines that build depends on, so we don't need a whole repo for that!

(I'm hazy about how and when to make GHC's repo point to newer versions of the sub-module.)

Regardless of the decision here, can I appeal, once more, for clear documentation of the workflows that a GHC developer will encounter?

Thanks

Simon