optllvm failures

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Apr 24 19:04:13 UTC 2014

GHC 7.6 did not support LLVM 3.2 - it was only tested with up-to LLVM 3.1.

The odd version number for LLVM 3.2 was a known problem with their
tarball, they forgot to remove the 'svn' suffix. This shouldn't be a
problem for GHC, it should correctly parse the right thing anyway.

Can you try another LLVM version? LLVM 3.2 has been known to be
particularly problematic - I believe me and David looked into this a
while back, and we couldn't get even get the compiler to bootstrap
with it at one point, let alone figure out what the hell was going on
(I'll see if I can find the ticket related to this). LLVM 3.3 or LLVM
3.4 should work just fine, and you can put them on the front of your
$PATH before running the testsuite to check this.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Daniel Fischer
<daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2014, 14:49:18, Carter Schonwald wrote:
>> What OS? Is this on a vm?
>
> Oops, sorry. openSuSE 12.3 (64 bit), nothing virtual.
>
>> I7-avx is the instruction family.  I5 will be ok.
>
> Okay, then it's probably that what openSuSE calls 3.2 is not what GHC thinks
> 3.2 is.

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant