Status updates

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 24 08:29:15 UTC 2014

| having GHC HQ monitor breakage in (a subset) of hackage for HEAD would
| be great! I can imagine a daily (or weekly, depending on resources)
| build of all of hackage or stackage using HEAD, and when there is a
| breakage, then git bisect on our soon bisectable repo and a tool that
| would allow the common git hacker to easily built and test the one
| breaking package will let us know about problems quickly and with
| little friction.
|
| (The sole purpose of this message is to convey motivation :-))

Please remember that "ghc hq" = Austin and me. And I have another job.  Relying on GHC for anything means that you may wait a long time.

So we increasingly rely on the army of GHC volunteers to do the heavy lifting.  I'm increasingly encouraging Austin to see his role as
   supporting,
   encouraging,
   helping,
   coordinating,
   removing road-blocks from,
   keeping well-informed,
   and thanking
volunteers, rather than doing the work himself.

So Yay for motivation, but it's the ghc-devs community that you are addressing, not "ghc hq".

And THANK YOU ghc-devs.  We love you.