Porting GHC

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 24 07:01:46 UTC 2014

Colin
I saw your porting-ghc blog post<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~cjwatson/blosxom/2014-04-15-porting-ghc-a-tale-of-two-architectures.html> (via the Haskell Weekly News) today.  What a great post!
Porting GHC to new architectures is way beyond the slender resources of GHC HQ, so depends utterly on volunteers.  And you see to be a particularly skilled and knowledgeable one.  Thank you!
Simon

PS: where you have offered patches to the main sources (e.g the function-prototype thing), did you elaborately comment the "technically wrong" prototype?  I have this fear that in three year's time someone is going to say "oh, we could do better with that prototype" and re-introduce the bug!   Aha. I've just checked #8965, and there's no comment at all.  I'll add the commit message as a comment.
Other ghc-devs, nb!  Adding the ticket number to the comment is also fantastically helpful, because it often points to examples and discussion that are too long to include in the code.